 Technic / 10756
Re: All-Out Lego Drag Racing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:46:25 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Nathan Falslev wrote:
   In lugnet.technic, Max Maxwell wrote:

Would anyone be interested in a LEGO drag racing competition?

I’d compete in it if it was well organized. Track should be long enough that having a quick transmission would help the car win. Such a competition could help transmission development a lot. ExCom
Transmissions would be allowed if they shift either mechanically by themselves or with a pneumatic piston, using a switch not attached to the car. The point is, each vehicle must drive itself down the track, with no human input once it starts moving (unless it is to stop it after the race is over or it is moving off course). A motor could shift gears, if the battery box is not attached to the vehicle. A 9V motor is powerful enough, but heavy on a small vehicle, and dead weight if it doesn’t power the wheels. A MicroMotor has ideal weight, but may not be powerful enough to shift. If there is enough interest in having a separate class for transmission cars, one would be created. However, for now, there would be no separate class, and cars with transmissions would compete based on number of motors. However, they would probably be at a disadvantage due to their weight, and the weight of shifting mechanisms. 2 speed transmissions would be ideal with low weight. And also consider Jeff Jahr’s 3 speed automatic here.

On a different note, it will dramatically help transmission development, especially automatic development. I am guessing Jeff’s design could be a basis for 4+ speed automatics. It will also help motorized or pneumatic (especially pneumatic) shifting mechanism development, too.

And, yes, it will be well organized. It should work like this: you follow the building and racing rules and record the results, e-mail them to me, and I will post them on a web site for everyone to see and know what they have to beat.

Hope this helps! Max