 Technic / 10697
Re: YAPNQ
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 18:32:06 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mark Tarrabain wrote:
<snip>

Rob Stehlik wrote:
And on a related note, here's my own latest versions of one-switch,
one-piston pneumatic "AND" and "NOT" gates.  View the following ascii
diagrams in a monospaced font:

AND
      Switch
      |----|
      | O-----> #1 AND #2
      | O----- <-- Input #1
  O---| O----** <-- Put a plug here to stop air-flow
|=|  |----|
| |
| |
|_|---------- < Input #2
Piston

NOT
      Switch
      |----|
      | O----** <-- put a plug here to stop air flow
      | O----- <-- Steady air supply
  O---| O----> NOT #1
|=|  |----|
| |
| |
|_|---------- < Input #1
Piston

In both cases, the switch and the piston are braced together so that
when the piston is retracted, the switch is all the way down and when
the piston extends, the switch goes all the way up.  The pistons will
need rubber bands on them to force them to retract when no input is
provided or else you can apply pressure to the other end of each
cylinder to reset them.

BTW, two instances of the NOT gates above should be possible to chain
together to create a NOR gate.

Looking good Mark.  It computes.

I had not thought about driving the source of the switch as one of the inputs,
or I tried it early on and gave up.

Kevin

Mark  (a man with visions bigger than his budget)