 Technic / 10600
    Binary Pneumatic addition with two pistons —Kevin L. Clague
   In my continued quest to develop pneumatic computing capabilities (what can I say, I'm a geek), I created a combination AND and exclusive or (XOR) gate using two pistons and five switches. This combination lets me add to bits using just two pistons, (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Binary Pneumatic addition with two pistons —Mark Tarrabain
   (...) Hey Kevin. Big fan here. I'm not sure if anyone has ever observed this before, but if one is only ever wants the pneumatic switch to be at one of the two extreme ends, it appears as if the LEGO pneumatic switches behave exactly like electrical (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Binary Pneumatic addition with two pistons —Kevin L. Clague
   (...) Hi Mark, (...) I've maded two pneumatic adding machines ((URL) and I can attest that it works quite well. With LEGO Pneumatics, the pistons are double acting. They have a port to make them expand as well as port to make them contract. This is (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Binary Pneumatic addition with two pistons —Mark Tarrabain
   (...) Not exactly... Like you, I was assuming that the position of the cylinders would be the input, but I was thinking of using just the airflow directly as an output rather than the position of another switch. As long as the cylinders are made so (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Binary Pneumatic addition with two pistons —Kevin L. Clague
   (...) Using a vaccume was possible with old lego pneumatics, but positive pressure is always used with new LEGO. (...) You got that right. (...) Pins should be removable or addable. were you thinking of just sliding the axles? (...) My wife is very (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Binary Pneumatic addition with two pistons —Mark Tarrabain
   (...) Well, yes. Technic pins can be removed or added by hand, but that doesn't seem very practical for ram that is supposed to be readable *AND* writeable by the computer. (...) Cool. My wife just shakes her head muttering something about marrying (...) (21 years ago, 10-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)