 Technic / 10613
Re: Binary Pneumatic addition with two pistons
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 20:26:31 GMT

Kevin L. Clague wrote:

With LEGO Pneumatics, the pistons are double acting.  They have a port to make
them expand as well as port to make them contract.  This is an alternate
solution to your positive and negative pressure, right?

Not exactly... Like you, I was assuming that the position of the
cylinders would be the input, but I was thinking of using just the
airflow directly as an output rather than the position of another switch.

As long as the cylinders are made so that it's possible to change their
position by air intake as well as by air pressure, I was thinking that
this could work.   I suspect that another way of not using negative
pressure would be to rig an output cylinder with an elastic band so that
it is extended only when air is blowing into it, but when the air stops
flowing it goes back.  The mechanism I had visualized wouldn't require
elastic bands.

Or am I totally off base assuming that negative air pressure is doable
with LEGO pneumatics?

I'll be picking some pneumatics up (from bricklink) as soon as I am sure
I can spare the money to buy a couple dozen parts (I figger making sure
that rent gets paid might be just a tad more important than playing with
LEGO).

My pneumatic logic gates always provide pressure and release, they don't put the
output switch into off state.

That's why I was thinking that they could be thought of as SPDT relays.
   I built a small binary adding machine with memory out of relays while
I was in school in 1978.  I've gotten to wondering if I could do that
with LEGO pneumatics, and I'm suspecting that I can.

I've been working my way there.  I've got all the computing elements that I
need, except RAM, which would be too expensive to model using pneumatic memory
cells.

Yeah... at several bucks a bit, I can see how that could be a problem. :)

I'm going to try to make memory cards out of technic beams with pins stuck in
the holes for ones, no pin means zero.  This could be a very difficult thing to
build though.

Hrmm... pins? or axles?  I would assume the latter because you can slide
the axles in and out at runtime (one and 0), but the pins are static
(although I guess they'd be fine for something like ROM).

I looked up some information on the first microprocessor, the 4004.  It was a
four bit processor that took 1000 transistors to make.  Something on that scale
might be doable.

<drool>  Er... excuse me.  :)

BTW, totally off topic here... does anyone else find that their spouses
think that adults playing with LEGO is, well... a little strange?