 Technic / 10600
10599  |  10601
Subject:
Binary Pneumatic addition with two pistons
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 12:34:49 GMT

In my continued quest to develop pneumatic computing capabilities (what can I
say, I'm a geek), I created a combination AND and exclusive or (XOR) gate using
two pistons and five switches.  This combination lets me add to bits using just
two pistons, 1/3 of the pistons used by me previously.

The gate is a combination of AND function and a multiplexer.  The AND output is
hooked to one input of the multiplexer.  The AND output is hooked up reversed to
the other input creating a NOT AND (NAND) input.

The multiplexer picks the AND output when both pistons are contracted, giving a
0 output.  In all other cases the multiplexer picks the NAND output.

In the end the XOR output is a 1 if either of the inputs to the gate are
different.

Because the gate can have both AND and XOR outputs, we get complete binary
addition.  The XOR output acts as the sum of two bits.  The AND output acts as
the carry of two bits.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/Computing/p6040057.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/Computing/p6040059.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/Computing/p6040058.jpg