 Technic / 10585
Re: What Happened to REAL Technic Sets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 14:59:33 GMT

I too miss some of the great Technic sets from Lego history (my first was
856).

I agree with what you said though.  There are a few sets I wanted that I
have missed over the years, but really wanted (8459, 8856, 8862).

I think there are a lot of Technic sets, but they are in the Star Wars vein.
Lots of models of the characters and droids.  Some people like that, but to
me a good Technic model represents a complex piece of machinery and
illustrates how key parts work.  The more of these you have, the fewer
"Real" Technic sets can be on the market.

I hope that Lego has learned a lesson from running too many Licensing deals
at once.  Most Lego sections I see in my area are very Star Wars/Harry
Potter heavy.  In fact, aside from Lego Legends and S@H only sets, Town only
really exists by way of extreme sports sets.  This will hopefully change
this summer as Lego releases a bunch of Police sets (to put the smack down
on the skate boarders?).

As for what makes a "real" Technic set, a Technic helicopter would at least
represent how the tail rotor and main rotor are geared together, and a model
car would at least have rack and pinion steering.  More advanced models may
illustrate more complex mechanical concepts.  So I think that is what you
mean by "real" Technic sets.

I'm not too big on the Technic sculptures, Bionicle, or Technic games
(fighting robots, racing cars, etc.), so I don't buy them.  I'm also not in
to the new 8454 set, but I always wanted 8862, so I'm definitely going to
vote with my dollars on 8455.

I also think they are on the right track offering some of the less expensive
Technic construction vehicles - hopefully with lots of cool technical
features (working steering, dumping, scooping, etc.).  Maybe those will
appeal to people with smaller budgets than mine.

"Purple Dave" <purpledave@maskofdestiny.com> wrote in message

Anyways, the 8454 Rescue Truck will have 6-wheel steering, and I believe • it has
a working engine (sans transmission, of course).  The 8455 Backhoe Loader • will
include a V6 motor, 10 big cylinders, 7 valves, and 2 pumps.  And they • both ship
in July.