 Technic / 10582
Re: What Happened to REAL Technic Sets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 01:37:04 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Max Maxwell wrote:
   I just realized that TLG no longer makes the 8466 and 8465 Technic sets. These were some of my current favorites, and I don’t have the 8465! The new Designer Series stuff is nice, but I don’t think they are REAL Technic things. Mindstorms is great, but $200 US seems pretty steep to me. (I guess because of the RCX) Come on guys, bring back some REAL Technic sets! (steering and engine at least, with some sets with suspension) I guess that we (AFOLs) are a minority of TLG’s sales, with the large portion of sales coming from the -10 crowd. But I think maybe we would be less of a minority if TLG made more stuff that we would buy.

Maybe if you actually bought the stuff you like they’d make more. Do you realize how silly it sounds to say you want them to make stuff you’d like to buy right after admitting you didn’t buy the stuff you liked?

Consider this, though. It doesn’t take a lot of money to develop a $3 set, every store (even Walgreens) will stock it, most parents would be willing to buy it for their kids at some point, and it covers the development cost very quickly. Ot takes a lot more money to develop a $100 set, most stores won’t touch it with a ten-foot pole, TRU is the one reliable source and they jack the price up another $10 from MSRP, parents will usually laugh when their kids ask if they can have one, and the sets probably take quite a while to recoup the development costs. If retailers don’t think people will buy it, they won’t order it, and TLC is wasting resources if they actually make it, especially when a slow economy means people will be spending less on non-essentials. That’s not to say that they won’t, but there’s a reason the Williams F-1 Team Racer is an LD exclusive.

Anyways, the 8454 Rescue Truck will have 6-wheel steering, and I believe it has a working engine (sans transmission, of course). The 8455 Backhoe Loader will include a V6 motor, 10 big cylinders, 7 valves, and 2 pumps. And they both ship in July.