 Technic / 10577
10576  |  10578
Subject:
What Happened to REAL Technic Sets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 19:32:13 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I just realized that TLG no longer makes the 8466 and 8465 Technic sets. These were some of my current favorites, and I don’t have the 8465! The new Designer Series stuff is nice, but I don’t think they are REAL Technic things. Mindstorms is great, but $200 US seems pretty steep to me. (I guess because of the RCX) Come on guys, bring back some REAL Technic sets! (steering and engine at least, with some sets with suspension) I guess that we (AFOLs) are a minority of TLG’s sales, with the large portion of sales coming from the -10 crowd. But I think maybe we would be less of a minority if TLG made more stuff that we would buy. It seems the newer Lego sets are much less about the building, and more about playing with them immediately after buying them. It seems that the newer sets with any Technic parts have few Technic parts, with large parts being a single piece. The last set I bought took me less than 10 (maybe 5) minutes to assemble. Compare that to the 15 hours or so it took me to assemble the 8466 4x4. It seems pitiful to me that instant gratification has even hit TLG and therefore its products. I’m sure most AFOLs like the challenge of building solutions to Lego problems and even building their own models. If you don’t have many Lego parts from 1999 or before, or the 8466, it is very difficult to find Technic parts other than on Bricklink. Is there a name for what TLG has done to their sets after 1999 or so? I think there should be though.

Max

Please bring back some REAL Technic sets!