 Technic / 10584
Re: Okay, this is bugging me...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 14:21:43 GMT

"Purple Dave" <purpledave@maskofdestiny.com> wrote in message
news:HG3BK8.182y@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.technic, Max Maxwell wrote:
I guess to make removing them from something easier. Seems to work for • me.

     You better believe it.  Onua started shipping with two notchless #2's • and I
have to be very careful with needlenose pliers to remove them from a blind
connection (ie, one where they can't be pushed out the other side), • whereas my
fingernails can easily grab onto the notches of the notched #2.

The notched versions are one of those "What took so long to bring out?!?"
redesigned LEGO parts.

For those of us old timers, it was 20 years ago the black friction pins came
to market (set #8841 and #8847 in th US).  I can certainly recall times when
they were a pain to remove but LEGO redesigned those with opennings in the
middle (ribs??) to make them easier to pull out.

Why they redesigned the pins sooner than the #2 axle is a "Who knows?"

Adr.