 Technic / 10456
Re: Dangerous Precedent
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 24 May 2003 05:35:35 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Don Rogerson writes:
Ah - I never looked closely at bionicle sets before. I may have to start if
there are other useful pieces.

     Almost all of them are useful, given the right inspiration.  Just take
a peek at this MOC to see a total of ten different
Throwbot/RoboRider/Bionicle shapes used in non-standard ways:

http://www.maskofdestiny.com/archiveimage.asp?i=1333

     Stuff like the Matoran throwing arm are really tough to work into
non-Matoran MOCs, and some of the Kanohi don't really work well as anything
other than faces, but a lot of the other parts can be used in very creative
ways.  In my experiece, building with basic bricks is like doing traditional
stone sculpture, building with basic Technic is like working with
standardized machinery, and building with the Throwbot/RoboRider/Bionicle
group is more like doing found-art sculpture.  It really helps if you can
look at the individual parts and see new things in the shapes.

I've tried both ways, but using just the hole at the base gives me the most
clearance. I was pleased (but not surprised) to find the two holes have a
standard spacing.

     They actually designed a fish that uses the hook as it's dorsal fin,
and it's attached by those two holes.  But yeah, very few parts get released
with non-standard spacing in the connections (I know the camshaft pieces are
like that), and in this case they're not just located with standard spacing
in relation to each other, but they're also in a direct line with the axis
of the connection on the base.  All of the swords are designed the same way,
but some of them have three holes instead of just two.