 Technic / 10453
10452  |  10454
Subject:
Dangerous Precedent
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 24 May 2003 01:57:17 GMT

Some of you may laugh, but I did something last week I've never done before:
bought a set just for one piece.

The set is 8371, "Extreme Power Bike" and the piece is 32551. It's not in
the Ldraw partslist that I have, but it's visible in the cover shot here:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8371

It's the hook-shaped arm just under the footpegs. There are two of them in
this set.

The reason I wanted it was because it looks like an ideal part to use as a
pallet in an escapement for a clock. I have been having some limited luck
using them with an old-style 15-tooth gear (the blue one with the red
axle-hole center). The piece has an axle-type tip on the end, but it doesn't
seem to be quite the same size as a regular axle, and it slips under stress.
The arm has two holes in it, and I've arranged a way to attach it using the
holes to keep it from slipping, but I lose some of the flexibility in
spacing and setting the angle.

Anyway, I'm still working on it. The semi-conical pieces in this set used
for the footpegs and also for the rear fender-flap might also be good
candidates for pallets with a larger old-style gear.