 Technic / 10454
Re: Dangerous Precedent
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 24 May 2003 04:07:03 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Don Rogerson writes:
Some of you may laugh, but I did something last week I've never done before:
bought a set just for one piece.

     Why not?  I've bought a Destroyer Droid set just for 25% of the red
parts.  Granted, I've put a lot of the brown ones to good use later, but
that's not why I bought it.  I also bought a Stunt Race Track just for the
one light-green Gali hook.

The set is 8371, "Extreme Power Bike" and the piece is 32551. It's not in
the Ldraw partslist that I have, but it's visible in the cover shot here:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8371

     Those would be the hooks first introduced in Gali (8533) from the
Bionicle line.  Currently the cheapest way to get them would be to buy Gali
on sale at Kay-Bee, assuming you don't mind blue.

The reason I wanted it was because it looks like an ideal part to use as a
pallet in an escapement for a clock. I have been having some limited luck
using them with an old-style 15-tooth gear (the blue one with the red
axle-hole center). The piece has an axle-type tip on the end, but it doesn't
seem to be quite the same size as a regular axle, and it slips under stress.
The arm has two holes in it, and I've arranged a way to attach it using the
holes to keep it from slipping, but I lose some of the flexibility in
spacing and setting the angle.

     Are you linking to both holes, or just the one at the base?  Anyways,
the hooks are made out of the same softer plastic as the little ball-joints,
and I've found that some are tight and others are loose.  You probably got
some loose ones, from the sound of it.

Anyway, I'm still working on it. The semi-conical pieces in this set used
for the footpegs and also for the rear fender-flap might also be good
candidates for pallets with a larger old-style gear.

     Those would be the Bohrok eyes (sometimes mislabelled as teeth), and
the cheapest way to get those is to order full sets of Bohrok Va (8550-8555)
from Amazon.com for about six bucks, especially if they're still offering
free S&H on them.