 Technic / 10132
Re: Lego solar car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 21:16:59 GMT

In lugnet.technic, John Henry Kruer writes:
Hello, all.  I know I don't post here much 'cause I'm more of a space fan...
but I just wanted to ask you all for some help.

My 8th grade science teacher assigned us a project in which we have to make
and race a model solar car.  So, because of my (right) belief that Lego can
do anything, I've made the body out of Lego and modified a Lego gear to the
car motor.

You can see some pictures here:
http://www.jhkruer.com/stuff/

My challenge is to make a light, fast car.  The primary concern is the
transmition, right now I  just use a 1:1 ratio of 24 tooth gears, and either
the thick small technic wheels or the really thin wheels.  (see the link for
two different combinations of gears and wheels)

So, do you guys have any ideas for a light, strong wheel and gear train?
Thanks!

-JHK

You might find this interesting:
http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=9062

Some tips:
make the car one-wheel-drive. This way the geartrain is more compact, more
efficient. With so little power one wheel will have enough traction.
The axle that holds the one drive wheel should be supported on both sides,
otherwise it'll twist in the technic beams, producing more friction.
For the other 2 wheels; don't put them on one axle, just connect them with
technic frictionless pins, each their own. When you use an axle, it's hard
to build a construction that doesn't load that axle, especially when the
construction needs to be very simple. A loaded axle has a lot of friction,
you don't want that.
Get some form of lubricant, it makes a big difference. Teflon is well suited
to lego.

Good luck!