 Technic / 10085
Re: Pneumatic Engines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 20:14:56 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Jason S. Mantor writes:

You could time how long it takes to winch a small amount of weight
hanging off the edge of a table top a certain distance.  See the recent
power pulling threads to see what I mean.  From that you can figure out
torque and horsepower.

Yeah, I think Philo did the same thing when testing the various electric
motors. Seems like it will work as long as I use a consistent air supply.

You could use it to turn one of the 9v gearmotors and see how many
light bricks you can juice up from the "output" of the motor.

I like this! This was more along the lines of what I was thinking. Then I
could just hook up a multimeter and measure voltage and current, and I would
be all set. I suppose this ignores the minor losses in the motor, but I'm
not terribly worried about accuracy.

PS. Am I the only one who doesn't have the red, single-acting
cylinders ?!

I doubt it. I had a couple from an old pneumatics set I recieved as a kid.
When I found out how useful they are, I bought some more on Bricklink. They
aren't that hard to find. The old cylinders are cool because they have way
less friction and they are single acting, but they have plastic rods which
are much weaker than the metal ones on the new cylinders. The non return
valve block from the old pneumatics is cool too.

Rob