 Storage / 968
Re: Storing Instruction booklets...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 16:50:05 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

Gary Williams wrote:

"Simon Bennett" <simon.bennett@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:GHEs6M.Bon@lugnet.com...
I really do feel for you North Americans if you
can't get A sized stationery.

This is what I had in mind:

http://www.2001officesupply.com/new02802.html

...but these are for 8.5" x 11" publications, too short for A4 instruction
manuals. :(

Anything A4-sized is extremely rare in the US, with the notable exception of
Lego instruction manuals.  But they're printed abroad, so it comes as no
surprise.

The ISO paper sizes really are more efficient than the hodgepodge of paper
sizes we have.  For those that don't know, all sheets of ISO paper have
length equal to the width times the square root of 2.  Thus if you cut a
sheet in half, the result is two sheets with the same proportions.

A0 = 1 square meter
A1 = 1/2 square meter
A2 = 1/4 square meter
A3 = 1/8 square meter
A4 = 1/16 square meter
A5 = 1/32 square meter

etc., all the way down to A10.

The advantage comes from economy of scale.  No paper is wasted when carving
up A0 sheets into any smaller sheet size.  Also, since every sheet has the
same proportions, artwork designed for one sheet size does not have to be
cropped when it's scaled to another sheet size.

US Paper can also be cut in half to form the next paper size, however
the aspect ratio changes every other paper size.

Actually, I didn't say that quite correctly. There are two aspect ratios
which alternate, so every other paper size has the same aspect ratio.

8.5"x11" = A
11"x17"  = B
17"x22"  = C
22"x34"  = D
34"x44"  = E

E is the largest size I've heard of in relation to plotters.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com

--