 Storage / 730
Re: the evolution of lego sorting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 22:58:06 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Remy Evard writes:

3. You give up on individual set boxes and toss all your Lego in a big
storage bin or a Lego denim bag, or a couple of your large set boxes.  You
become very familiar with the sound of someone digging through large bricks
looking for a 1x1 transparent red plate.

One of the parameters of my growing storage dillema is how to keep pieces
sufficiently separated such that scratching and scarring is kept to an absolute
minimum when I have to rummage around.  My experience is that, in the long run,
if one has to scoop through the parts bin looking for that trans-red plate one
too many times, then visible and often unacceptable wear and tear to the bricks
can't be avoided.  This is a real issue for me when it comes to storing pieces
of which I have a lot, e.g., 1x2 bricks; if I'm working on a big project that is
depleting the reserves of, say, white 1x2's, then it becomes necessary to
shuffle through hundreds of other colors until I find that last white one that
is inevitably at the bottom.  Perhaps I'm just AR (my wife thinks so), but I *
hate* to scratch my bricks - my goal is pristine pieces for life.

james

In lugnet.storage, James Simpson writes:

One of the parameters of my growing storage dillema is how to keep pieces
sufficiently separated such that scratching and scarring is kept to an absolute
minimum when I have to rummage around.  My experience is that, in the long run,
if one has to scoop through the parts bin looking for that trans-red plate one
too many times, then visible and often unacceptable wear and tear to the bricks
can't be avoided.  This is a real issue for me when it comes to storing pieces
of which I have a lot, e.g., 1x2 bricks; if I'm working on a big project that is
depleting the reserves of, say, white 1x2's, then it becomes necessary to
shuffle through hundreds of other colors until I find that last white one that
is inevitably at the bottom.  Perhaps I'm just AR (my wife thinks so), but I *
hate* to scratch my bricks - my goal is pristine pieces for life.

It's been a long time since I've seen any discussion about this, and I don't
remember the conclusion.

Do you do more damage to bricks keeping them built in walls/cubes/piles which
keeps them "flexed" or keeping them loose which lets them get scratched?
The bricks that show the scratching most (clear) are also the bricks that
lose their sticking ability easiest.

I try to keep bulk ABS bricks built in cubes or walls of the same color and
shape (hard to do, though), and over the past 5 years or so I haven't seen
any problem with the bricks fitting together more loosely.  I may be damaging
the bricks, but I really like picking up a cubes of 1000 2x4's to build
something big.

John Boreczky

Re: the evolution of lego sorting