 Storage / 301
300  |  302
Subject:
tuff 'tainer storage (was Re: help me spend some money!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.storage
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 20:57:09 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Al Thiele) writes:
Totally agree with Jonathan's recommendation for storage.  WorkForce
Organizers ($4.33 at Home Depot here in San Diego) have 18 bins (with
a good mix of sizes) and are stackable & spillproof.  Their one long bin holds
an RCX plus long beams/plates/axles.

In my opinion, the Flambeau Tuff 'Tainer is a much better deal, at $2.90 each
(at my Home Depot). They have four very long, thin bins, which you subdivide
yourself into whatever sizes you need (up to 48 max, 12 per row). Each box
comes with 20 dividers. The lid comes off and reattaches if you want, which is
great for when you need to lay out 10 or 15 bins on a table. The lid latches
and when turned upside down or shaken, even the smallest pieces I've seen (the
little "flowers") can't get from one bin to another. You can order extra
dividers but I haven't needed to -- I have enough LEGO pieces that I end up
having lots of large bins, and have lots of dividers left over.

I find this system is best because it allows me to keep the parts in the right
order. All the other storage systems I have seen have pre-set bin sizes which
you cannot change, so you have to rearrange your part sorting order to fit the
bin sizes, and if the bin sizes don't agree with what you're storing, that's
just too darn bad.

Flambeau's web page is http://www.flamprod.com/ but the tuff tainer is not
pictured there. If you're in the United States and don't have a Home Depot in
your area you might call Flambeau at the number shown on their web page to ask
where these containers are distributed.

- Robert Munafo                            http://www.mrob.com
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13