 Storage / 1418
Re: Warped baseplates: can they be restored to flatness?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2004 09:15:00 GMT

This may be a long shot- but you could try steaming them and then applying
gentle pressure. Abs does allow for some moulding. Beware as you do not
want to steam it too long-if you warp the studs the peice will be useless.

You could build a decent pressure rig using technic Lego - ie reenforcing
every joint with a pinned crossbrace. It you then place the whole assembly
somewhere relatively hot it could press it flat.

Other than this I can think of no other solution. So far I have only had
to deal with minor warpage, and torsion on axels.

Orion
--
Orionrobots.co.uk - North London robotics group, lectures and workshops.

In lugnet.storage, Edward Welsh wrote:
Does anyone have any siggestions on restoring warped baseplates to
their
original shape?

Build heavy models on top of them.

Ha, ha.

I'm afraid I can't think of anything else.

How did they get warped?  Were they not stacked flat?

-Teddy

They were stacked flat at one time, but must've slid somewhere along the
18 or
so years they'd been packed away.  Only two of the baseplates were
damaged, but
it's pretty severe (I can slide a plate under the bow in the worst of
them).

It's not a huge deal, I have other 8x16s, but these have sentimental
value,
given they were part of my original collection from way back when.

I might just take up your suggestion and build a gigantic tower on them,
then
see what they look like in 2022 :)

--
OrionRobots.co.uk - Robots from Sol to Sirius.