 Storage / 1282
Re: Should I Save the Boxes?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 02:12:29 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Dan Hennings writes:
Greetings! I have saved most of the boxes from sets I have purchased new, but
now I am running out of room. I'm not exactly sure why I saved them in the
first place. I don't want to get rid of them if there is a logical reason to
save them. What do you do with boxes and why do you do it? Thank You. Dan.

Good evening Dan,

At first I saved boxes.  Then once my collection started to grow, in order
to save room, I just saved the alternate models/ideas panel of the box
(usually the back of the box.)  Now after 300+ sets I don't even save the
alternate model/ideas panel any more.  Now I've been placing the set in an
appropiate sized zip lock storage bag with an index card that contains
written info such as the LEGO set #, the name of the set, and piece count.
Then I log the set onto my set inventory here on LUGNET.  Many of my sets
can fit in a pint sized storage bag.  Others take a couple two-gallon sized
bags, in that case I have to add "1 of 2", "2 of 2" to the index card.  The
only sets I have in boxes are ones I haven't put together yet - like the
3100+ piece ISD.  (I wonder how many two-gallon zip lock bags that will
take!)(please, nobody tell me, I want to be surprised - OK, I better do that
tonight.)  I should point out that I use freezer bags since they're
sturdier.  I then keep the full bags in 18 gallon rubbermaid storage totes.
These keep out moisture which was just proven two weeks ago when our
basement became a childs wading pool from snow melt and rain here locally.

Saving boxes may help get a better return when it comes to selling your
sets.  I would think that having all the pieces is the main selling point
when and if that time ever comes.  Of course having sets in an unopened box
will bring the highest price, but to do so obviously means your not building
and only investing.  I'd think most AFOLs are the builder types.  I don't
ever see a time when I'll sell.  I'm hoping I can pass on my collection to
grandchildren.

I hope you get other responses.

Take Care,

Patrick