 Storage / 1271
1270  |  1272
Subject:
Pile Proponents
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 17:14:59 GMT

I've noticed both storage and sorting are popular here—and with some
collections upwards 100k, I can understand. Sorting seems almost a sub-hobby
of a hobby.

But I have to ask, is there anyone who does not sort? Even a larger collection?

I have a rapidly growing 21k inventoried (and another 5k or so
uninventoried)—nothing to scoff at, but still a fraction of many adult
collections. And I keep it loosely sorted for several reasons:

I don't have the space.
I don't have the time.
I don't have the will.

The foremost reason is that too much organization makes it difficult for me
to build. It stifles my creativity. When I started my collection back up, I
tried storing parts in their own bins and smaller parts in plano boxes and
ziplock bags. But I wasn't building. I couldn't build.

As a kid I developed the habit of searching through a mound of bricks,
sometimes for what seemed like hours, for a single part or the "other one of
these" I was certain I had. While scouring the pile for that one piece, I
found other parts that generated creativity, which were set aside. I was
happening upon pieces I had forgotten about or otherwise wouldn't have
thought to use.

It wasn't until I bought several of these:
http://www.sterilite.com/Products/Catalog/1995_LG.jpg (Sterilite #1995) that
I actually started building with the size collection I always wished I had.
All the parts were present and I was handling all of them. Not to mention
the pacific sound of LEGO against LEGO. (It must be like nails on a
chalkboard to some of you to think of all the scratches in my windows and
cockpits.)

This isn't to say I don't sort. But as loosely possible: 1 bin for plates, 1
bin for bricks, 1 bin for slopes, and 1 bin for everything that doesn't go
in the other three. It works great, because all the little 1x2 plates fall
to the bottom and are suprisingly easy to locate amidst the larger plates
and wings.

: .

Building > Sorting.