 Storage / 1219
Re: Silly storage question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 06:51:05 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Carl Billen writes:
Hi everyone,

I was sorting my pieces and wanted to store away 1x2 and 1x4 log bricks; I
don't have to many of them, but I find them very useful so I wanted to give
them their own little storage cabinet plastic drawer.  I noticed I had 'a
bit too many' of the 1x2 to fill a small drawer, but I found it such a waste
to use up a medium sized drawer for them.

And then I got the idea of instead putting them in the drawer all separated
(so that you had a pile of single bricks), I put them together, making
little constructions of 13 1x2 bricks stuck on top of each other.  This
allowed me to stuff them more closely together in the drawer.  As a result I
have a drawer only filled for two-thirds because I put the bricks together
instead of keeping each piece separately.

But a friend of mine (who's also busy finding a way to store his bricks) was
concerned whether this was 'healthy' for the bricks to store them away all
put together.

So here's my silly question : Is it wise to store away the bricks put
together in order to save space? Or is it recommended that during storage
all the bricks are not mounted on each other?

Personally I don't think it can do any harm, as there are people who build
models and keep them together for several years, and to me that's "storage
with bricks put together" too...

I have never heard such claims as this before but I find it perfectly
ridiculous.  Why be worried about something that may never happen and will
likely not matter if it does happen?  Store your parts whatever way works for
you based on how you use them, how many you have, and what storage containers
you have available.

As Alan B stated, storing pieces unattached means that while building you don't
have to take time to separate them all before using them.  This means a lot!
Imagine how much time it would take to build with plates, for example, if they
were all stored connected to each other.  For this reason, I keep my
unassembled parts separated in most cases.  I have some exceptions to this for
various reasons, but none of the reasons have to do with harm to the bricks.

While connected parts do seem to occupy less storage space, that should NOT be
a major factor in storage space allocation (but sometimes cannot be avoided).
Also, rather than connecting pieces into large chunks I suggest smaller units
such as groups of 4, 5, or 6.  I personally store some parts this way in groups
of four, especially corrugated bricks, log bricks, 1 x 1 cones, 1 x 1 round
bricks, and 1 x 1 headlight bricks.  Such small units seem to make storage and
retreival a bit easier and less time consuming.  But, again, they need to be
disconnected before they can be used.

Like Lar, I am always interested in hearing about all aspects of Lego brick
storage from the good ideas all the way to the totally bad ones.  It just so
happens that I have one of the best sorting schemes but about the worst
container system for my Lego collection, but I don't think I will ever
change.  If you want to know how NOT to store your Lego parts, just ask me.
It has been a long time since I have described it here so perhaps it is time
to do so again.

__Kevin Salm__
Lego brick enthusiast

.