 Storage / 1215
Re: Silly storage question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 15:02:12 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Carl Billen writes:

I was sorting my pieces and wanted to store away 1x2 and 1x4 log bricks; I
don't have to many of them, but I find them very useful so I wanted to give
them their own little storage cabinet plastic drawer.  I noticed I had 'a
bit too many' of the 1x2 to fill a small drawer, but I found it such a waste
to use up a medium sized drawer for them.

And then I got the idea of instead putting them in the drawer all separated
(so that you had a pile of single bricks), I put them together, making
little constructions of 13 1x2 bricks stuck on top of each other.  This
allowed me to stuff them more closely together in the drawer.  As a result I
have a drawer only filled for two-thirds because I put the bricks together
instead of keeping each piece separately.

But a friend of mine (who's also busy finding a way to store his bricks) was
concerned whether this was 'healthy' for the bricks to store them away all
put together.

So here's my silly question : Is it wise to store away the bricks put
together in order to save space? Or is it recommended that during storage
all the bricks are not mounted on each other?

I tend to fall into the "better safe than sorry" camp.  That is, I
personally like to keep most of my bricks apart.  Though I must admit that I
have a couple things that have been together for the better part of a year
now.  However, the vast majority of my bricks are separate.

Apart from feeling secure that the bricks aren't getting stretched or any
such thing, there is also a side benefit for me... ease of building.  When
working on an original model I will hunt through larger buckets/tub etc for
handfuls of the size/color bricks I think I'm likely to need.  These then go
into open top trays on my building area.  This then allows me to build,
without having to first 'snap off' the pieces I want to use from some block
of bricks that were snapped together for storage.  I also love the sound of
digging through a tray or box of loose bricks.  :)

So my vote for the solution to your storage problem?  Buy more storage
space.  That way you know for sure your bricks are being kept as safe as
possible.  I did this myself yesterday, picking up some open top and front
sorting bins (about 5 inches square) and also some no-name Tupperware style
containers for storing larger quantities.  Actually, I'm just in the middle
of setting up a new LEGO building area right now, so this topic is forefront
in my mind right now.

Hope you find something that works for you.  I find it can take time to even
figure out what it is that you want.  I will sometimes wander through a
surplus store or one of those dollar/bargain stores looking for ideas.
Yesterday, it took a trip to the lumber yard to complete the design of my
new building table.  But isn't all this part of the fun?

All the best,
Allan