 Star Wars / 9162
9161  |  9163
Subject:
Set 7171 Mos Espa Podrace
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 09:28:21 GMT

After almost a year and a half of putting it off, I finally picked up the Mos
Espa Podrace set.  It was the only one of the "original" Star Wars Lego line
that I didn't have.  I picked up the Target package special for $50.  I was
hoping to pay less for it, but there are no stores here that have put any of
the Star Wars sets on clearance... with the exception of Target.

I knew that the set was split into three seperate boxes inside the main box,
which was good because I didn't want to build everything at once.  I already
had Anakin's Podracer, so I skipped building that... I figure I'll use some of
the parts in a mecha or space ship or something.  I looked at the two
remaining racers, and decided on Gasgano's.  I put Sebulba's racer aside to
work on tomorrow morning, when I can't sleep after working the graveyard shift
all week, and there's nothing to do but play with legos.

Anyway, I like Gasgano's Podracer.  Building it was a little different than I
had imagined (especially the engines) but a good experience none the less.
Lots of pieces in colors you don't often see...  I hope that Sebulba's will be
the same way.  I was highly disappointed in the Gasgano "fig" however...  I
would've prefered a solid piece to Lego's rendition.  The head was cool, but
that was about it...  it's like they designed it to be part of the pod, not a
character...

The package also came with 7101 Lightsaber Duel, and 7111 Droid Fighter.  With
the sets I got another Jar Jar, and two more Qui Gon Jinns... Joy.  I'll
always take another Darth Maul, Anakin doesn't bug me, and I've only got one
Padme so that's fine (good female hair piece.)  Oh well, I guess I can make
more "Gungan Soldiers" and "Stereotypical Homosexual Males."  Yikes.

-Bryan