 Star Wars / 9002
Re: Cloud City
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 17:23:56 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Mark Sandlin writes:

They made a playset with some of the features of the Executor, and there
was, of course, the Death Star Playset, but those were the only ones that
were compatible with the 3.5" figs. I've seen pictures of a prototype
Tantive IV, but they never released it. :^(

True, but it was also horribly, horribly out of scale.

Still, *lots* of the Hasbro ships etc were subject to "selective compression".
The X-wing was a bit stout around the middle and had short wings.  The
Millenium Falcon was pretty grossly undersized.  I'm pretty sure we could list
and list all the Hasbro toys and what was wrong with them.

Frankly, I'd prefer bigger sets and ships that were to scale with each other,
even if it meant that they weren't to minifig scale.  Why do you care about
minifigs if you're playing with a toy of a Star Destroyer?  Give me a line of
toys that has a Star Destroyer, a Mon Cal Cruiser, a Tantive IV, etc to the
same scale, and maybe some teeny little X-Wings and so on, and I'd be happy.
Then, when I want them to land, I can switch to my minifig (or 3.75") scale
ships.

Alas, no company has really done that.  Micro Machines come the closest to
realising this dream, but they make ships that are all scaled to whatever will
make the toy around the same size as every other toy in the line.  Bah.

eric