 Star Wars / 7309
Re: SW mini-fig 3-pack OFFICIAL set numbers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 00:18:38 GMT

   It seems to me that they (marketing) made a mistake by switching the cards
between Luke and the Emperor. The throneroom scene that is behind the
Palpatine fig would work well for Luke because that's where the final showdown
occured between him and Vader in ROTJ, especially since he's all dressed up in
his spiffy master Jedi outfit. (Oops, have I spoiled the movie for those who
haven't seen it yet? Nyuk nyuk!)
   Still, I think Andrew makes a good point about the five other cards not
showing the character on the card while Luke's has the Emperor pictured.
Something is fishy with that. Maybe the cards are two-sided? Background
scenery on one side and the character's picture on the other?
   Regardless, I think the card confusion can simply be chalked up to a
mistake made by those wacky marketing guys.

   (Hey, I just imagined their job for a moment and got myself all riled up.
Play along with me for a moment if you will...

   "Marketing guys, we have a mission for you: We need you to play with these
brand new toys that nobody else has even seen before and take pictures of
them. Whaddya say? Are you up to the challenge?"

   Not that I'm jealous or anything!

   All apologies to AFOL's in Marketing... )

In lugnet.starwars, Andrew Pruette writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Dave Lovelace writes:

So the mysterious baby-faced character in the black robe, with an image of
Palpatine behind him, is actually Luke.  I want this one most of all, since
the
backing card seems like it's done in error.

...probably an error by the marketing department, however.  I doubt the • actual
set will ship with a photo of the Emperor for Luke's stand.

It is possible they intend for it to be Luke standing in front of the Emperor
to make it a sort of movie "mini-scene." I don't think they meant the photo of
the Emperor to be a depiction of the minifig in front of the photo, since five
of the six show no characters at all but rather background scenery. Perhaps
they put Luke in front of the Emperor to differentiate the Luke backdrop from
the Emperor minifig's, which depicts the empty throne room.

Andrew