 Star Wars / 5594
5593  |  5595
Subject:
Clone wars (Was: A-Wing Review)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 02:42:21 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jeff Johnston writes:
Kevin kwan wrote:
Luke Skywalker...Jedi Clone.
(why do I have 3 Lukes?  Every 1999 SW classic set seems to come with a
Luke...maybe the lugnet folks can do a parody of the "Clone wars" in which • all
the Lukes fought each other)

I dunno why everybody complains about this.  I'd rather have:

Tattooine Luke
Pilot Luke
Jedi Luke
Endor Luke

2 pilot Lukes...The one from the Snowspeeder and the one on the X-Wing...You
have both, right?
But seriously, same character, different look...I rather have an unsung Rebel
soldier or a faceless Stormtrooper in its place...At least they were MEANT to
look like they are cloned)

instead of

Qui-Gon (Lightsaber Duel)
another Qui-Gon (Gungan Sub)
a third identical Qui-Gon (Mos Espa Podrace)
yet another Qui-Gon (Naboo Swamp)

Or Anakin as a Rodracer pilot, a Naboo N1 pilot...again as a podracer pilot in
3 E1 sets...

But seriously, folks, It is kinda funny considering that the rebel Alliance
have an absolute domination in SWL so far...I mean, the Rebels are supposed to
be vastly outgunned underdogs in here, not Air supremecy experts protected by
wrench wielding homicidal mechanics!
We got tons of clones of Jedi knights, more pilots than planes, and enough
mechanics to fix the odds in Star Wars 7!  I mean, it would probably be cooler
to offer the 4 Lukes in an overpriced "character accesory set" and offer
regular pilots (or an Imperial Stormtrooper) in place of Luke in the sets...At
least give the boys in their sleek Reb ships something to shoot at...and
shooting someone in your team gets old after a short while.  I mean, how many
times can you shoot that "Imperial Spy dressed in Rebel Pilot/Mechanic outfit"
before it gets old?  I mean, I want actual opponents!  I want a TIE Bomber
opposing the X-Wing, A TIE Interceptor going after the A-Wing, a TIE Fighter
going after the B-Wing, and a gaggle of snowtroopers with blaster cannons
after the Snowspeeder!  let's face it, we would never see an offical AT-AT
Tantive 4 or the Star Destroyers...But at least pound out some SERIOUS
opponents for my Rebel troops!  They are bored to pieces and forced to watch
their mechanics change oil filters in the hyperspace motivators!

At least the E1 sets have a better balance of good VS evil...In SW Classic
sets, you need to plank $60 to get the Y-Wing/TIEx1 set to get an evil ship...
(even there you got a Y-wing, which pretty much begs you to buy an X-Wing to
escort it...and then it's a 2:1 fight)
and $11 a pop for the speeder bike Imps (and even there a butt kicking Endor
Luke guarantees that the conflict would go badly for thre Imps...and for $4
you might as well go one better and buy another A-Wing)
Oh by the way, how much Speedertrooper sets are you supposed to buy to stage
that "Welcome the Emperor" scene in Return of the Jedi?  16?  32?  Can't they
just sell SW character sets like they used to for the townpeople?

(You can replace Qui-Gon with Jar Jar if you like.  I *really* wish young
Obi-Wan had been in the Naboo Swamp set...)

At least the various Lukes all have different outfits.  The only duplicate I
have is because of the overlap from the X-Wing and the Snowspeeder, and I
fixed that when I got the A-Wing - now I have a scruffy Rebel Pilot and a
Dagobah/Bespin Luke.

Hmmmm....Does the Bespin Luke have a new helmet with the green visor?