 Star Wars / 547
Re: Can some confirm Piece????
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 03:05:59 GMT

Tom Stangl writes:
I ordered a complete set of SW sets, plus an extra Snow Speeder and Speeder
Bikes for parts from S@H, because at this point, I'd rather be guaranteed
the sets and pay a premium than fight the scalpers for the sets.

I don't expect to be fighting many scalpers; I expect to be competing mostly
against other eager fans.  Scalpers only exist in markets where there is active
buyer interest.

Though that does NOT mean that I'm going to do my best to find out the
stocking days/times for my local Targets, so I can buy every copy I can of
certain SW sets.

*??*  I'm sure you "can" buy hundreds by year's end, and thousands next year.
It's not going to be like the Kenner Slave Leia figure which took a year to
reach saturation.  Regardless: if you want to buy all you can, call Shop @
Home....

Secondly... "every copy" you can?  If you're fighting the scalpers, who am *I*
fighting; the scalpers... or people like you?

I sure do hope that TLG is ramping up MAJOR production, so the early
scalpers lose their shirts as the supply keeps up with the demand.  I don't
want the scalpers receiving any satisfaction for at least 5 years.

Hmmm.  I don't know of any scalpers that hang onto their stock for five years
(well, maybe the bad ones ;) ).  It's by definition a short-turnaround-time
activity.  If the supply is adequate (which I believe it will be by late
summer, if not sooner), they will simply move on, not hang about for five
years.

Of course, that is NOT going to stop me from socking away 2 complete SW
sets - one for ME, one to sell in 2-3 years to pay off ALL the SW sets
bought up until that time.  And selling a complete set WILL pay off the
4-10 sets I'll have bought for parts, you can count on it.  Especially if
it is sold on Ebay.

Pardon me, but, in case it's not already clear, I'm getting a bit of cognitive
dissonance here.  You're concerned about scalpers beating you to the punch (and
damn them anyway for not wanting to build the sets!).... and hope they can't
get returns for 5 years... yet you're eagerly looking forward to significant
profits (from stock you're not going to build...) in 2-3 years time?

Might I suggest that many of the sets being released this year will in fact
still be regular issues in 2-3 years, possibly even 4-5 years' time for some?
Esp. many of the classic SW sets from this year, which are *signature* vehicles
that could well be marketed like the popular Lego sets of yore, when 4-5 yr.
production cycles were common.

Might I also suggest that even if the cycle is more standard, and you believe
you can sell them for a premium in three years' time, that you invest your
money more wisely for, say, two years, and pick up the sets for resale during
the *end* of their production run, instead of the beginning?

Concerned about some animals being more equal than others,

Kevin