 Star Wars / 5205
Re: [Slightly of topic] Why?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 20:58:03 GMT

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999 14:28:03 GMT, Lawrence Wilkes uttered the following
profundities...
In lugnet.starwars, Jaco van der Molen writes:
Can someone tell me why I live in the Netherlands?
I would like to have them 2000 sets aswel...

No

Perhaps I should go shopping for one day in New York or something. That is
what some fellow Dutchmen did: fly from Amsterdam to New York, do some X-mas
shopping and fly back... in 24 hrs!!! Sick... I saw it on the news here in
Holland.

Not sick, probably sound ecomomic sense.
Here in the UK at this time of year flights to the US are very cheap, I assume
its the same in Holland. They are often around the £200 GBP mark
There always seems to be some newspaper article about now showing how due to
the lower prices in the US, the flight can be self funding, i.e. you save more
money on your purchases than the flight cost.

Visit http://www.lastminute.com
and you could probably shave a considerable amount off of that fare....

I don't know if they are still available, but the fare, purchased through
the likes of Gold Medal, etc., should be around the £120 mark, or there
abouts. No one whatsoever is flying, either for fear of Y2K, or whatever....

I have been unable to find a source that specifies when, but.....
NYC occassionally has a Tax-free day for shopping. As I understand
it, NYC has one of the highest sales taxes around. So, these tax-free
days stimulates a phenomenal amount of business.....

If you were planning a Lego trip, however, you might want to consider
a trip to Newark, NJ. It serves NYC, but because it is Newark, the
general publice might as well think it is in Minnesota. As a result,
flight loads are never that significant, and as a result, many
carriers offer substantially greater discounts (we are only
talking a few quid, mind you....) than they would for a flight
to JFK.

The benefit of Newark? (Airport code EWR) There is a **massive**
Toys 'R' Us just 5 miles from the airport!!!!! A taxi shouldn't
cost too much, if that was your only purpose for the trip.
I know! I went on a trip for some other purpose than purchasing
Lego, and upon my return to EWR, made a quick stop there. (It is
advertised on billboards from the Turnpike, so unmissable!) It
was quite amusing....pop-in, buy 2 buckets, stuff as much as
possible into the suitcases, analyse how much space is left in
them, go back inside for more.........

(I work for an airline, trust me....)