 Star Wars / 50
Re: fan of both, hoping for the best
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 23:42:06 GMT

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998 00:34:40 GMT, "Jesse Long" <JesseL@hawaii.edu>
wrote:

Terry K wrote in message <361beb9c.14325267@lugnet.com>...
I vaguely remember reading one comparison between ST and SW.  They
were comparing characters and technologies, and who would win in a
fight.  It was amusing.  Kirk vs. Vader.  :-)
Vader wins the fight, but hey, Kirk gets the chicks!  Picard just
stands around ruminating responsibilities.  :-)

Kirk was so much better than Picard.  What a wuss.

True, but Picard was distinguished.  :-)   And eventually the writers
did give him a little more action.
Reminds me of the transformation of George Bush from wimpy vice-prez
to butt-kicking prez.  All orchestrated by image-professionals.

There was only one thing I really disagreed with;  which is better -
blaster rifle or hand phaser.  They came out for the blaster as the
better weapon.  Oh come on!  The blaster was pitiful!  And very
inaccurate (unless the good guys were shooting).

It's called the stormtrooper effect, and can be seen throughout the SW
movies.  The more people shooting and the more obvious the target, the
harder it is to hit it.  Conversely, the more difficult the shot the easier
it is.

The even replicated it in the video games.  I remember trying to pick
off storm-troopers with a blaster, and the dang thing never would hit
anywhere near where the sight was.  grrrr....

-- Terry K --

-- Terry K --