 Star Wars / 2837
Re: Questions (possible spoiler)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 19:18:43 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Kevin Bane writes:

Have you ever seen the movie "Greed" with Michael J Fox?  He said in one
line that sums up my whole point:

"First this didn't seem wrong, then that didn't seem wrong until nothing
seemed wrong.  I just kinda got sucked in."

And who is it that said "Once you start down the path toward the Dark Side,
forever will it dominate your destiny"?  Seems I saw that in a movie
somewhere....

Well, we have police and we give them guns and they occasionally kill people.
Isn't killing people bad?  Yes.  But in some circumstances, it is necessary.
We leave that responsibility to the police, and for the most part, we let them
see to the training and control of their own people.

The Jedi serve the same role, IMO.  In this case, as with all cases of right
and wrong, it all comes down to the "why", the reason.  By this, I do NOT mean
"the ends justify the means", but rather, "the Justification defines the
means".. it is a fine distinction, I know... but IMHO, an important one.

I mean he used the Force on the leader of an entire people to get what he
wanted.

And from his point of view, what he wanted was not terribly much compared to
the occupation and disruption of an entire civilization that would ultimately
lead to the same for the people whom he "duped" out of a measly little 3-person
transport.

And speaking of consistancy, why did 3P0 never make the connection between
his creators name and Luke's?  Also, one of the first things 3P0 says to
Luke in SW is "Where are we?"

In the SW universe, Droids periodically get their memories wiped, especially
when they change owners.  It is entirely possible that both droids change
owners MANY times between this movie and ANH.

And in SW Ben did not recognise R2, although
he almost fell over him several times in E1......

Droids are universally prevelant, and about 30 years have passed between TPM
and ANH.  If you stumbled across a car that used to belong to a friend of yours
30 years ago, would you recognize it? (beyond saying, "Oh, that's a Pinto! my
friend used to have one.")  Undeniably, Kenobi recognizes that it is an
astromech droid, and even an R2 unit, but how many hundreds, if not thousands
of R2 units do people on civilized republic worlds come in contact with in 30
years?  And even if it is the same, So What?  Its a Droid, not his long lost
cousin!

(And if I remember correctly, Ben Kenobi calls R2 "my little Friend" at
some point when he first sees him in ANH...though I could be wrong)

--Karim