 Star Wars / 2610
Re: Titanic, was Lego Mania Magazine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 20:17:52 GMT

Mark and Ed,

I'd have to disagree about Titanic.  Granted we saw it on video and not at
the theater, but I was not that impressed by the movie (although the visual
effects were very impressive) and neither was my wife.

I thought there were many cheesy lines in this movie, especially courtesy of
Leo's character ("I'll be waiting right here" or something to that effect as
he's chained to that pole).  I also thought the acting in general was fair,
but nothing to write home about.  And, the darn sinking segment took
forever.  I thought this was way over done.

I haven't seen TPM yet, but it would be hard to imagine that I'd reflect on
Titanic as the better movie.  If I do, I'll be extremely disappointed as a
fan of the original Star Wars trilogy.

Regarding box office projections for TPM, are the all-time box office takes
based on both foreign and domestic markets?  If so, I'd think Star Wars has
a much larger following internationally than Titanic would ever hope to
have -- just on name alone.  Also, Titanic wasn't a movie I would have taken
a young child to, but I could see taking my 4 or 5 year-old son to see TPM.
This might give TPM a better than average shot at overtaking Titanic.

Besides, look at all the great LEGO sets we're seeing due to Star Wars and
the new movie!  Geez, I certainly don't want to recreate scenes from Titanic
with minifig versions of Leo and Kate.  But, to each their own.

Steve Berry