 Star Wars / 1764
Re: Reaction to Ep-1 set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 18:33:15 GMT

On Mon, 3 May 1999 15:39:07 GMT, "Mike Zinkowsky" <mike_zinkowsky@harvard.edu>
wrote:

Hi all,

I just wanted to see if my reactions were on par with everyone else.
Overall, I am happy with all the new Ep-1 sets, except maybe the Sith.  Not
having seen any pictures of the real ship, I have no comparison.  I don't
have the mos espa set yet, but did get anakin's pod and  it's very cool.
It's nice to have another R2.

My favorite though, has to be the sub.  Were a lot of "special" pieces could
have been used, there are many basic pieces which are great for building.
Also the underwater rock formation is NOT one solid piece :)  This is great,
I expected it to be a BURP or something.

I'm buying Star Wars mainly for pieces.  I intend to keep what I need and
sell the rest.  The classic sets were great for pieces, lots of slopes,
plates, tiles, etc.

Today I got most of the Ep1 sets and was amazed at the variety of pieces.
I'd almost have to say the selection is even better in these sets.

The Mos Espa Pod race is one of the best for parts in my opinion.  I've been
hoping for a grey gable connector slope ever since I found the one in the
Ninja sets were dark gray.  This set has 2 in grey.  This set may have the
largest variety of colors ever.  It has all the basic colors (white, black,
red, yellow, blue, grey), plus most of the other major (or quickly becoming
major) colors, green, purple, orange, tan, dark grey, brown, plus clear,
trans-yellow, trans-orange, and chrome.

There are so many good pieces in this set it'd take forever to list them all,
but here are some of my favorites:

  green quarter-rounds (macaroni bricks)
  green and orange medium slopes
  grey gable connector slopes
  purple! 2x2x2 cones, and 1x2 grill tiles
  green, orange, black 2x2 tiles
  green and orange 2x3 skew bricks
  grey 1x1 thinwall corners

The Naboo Fighter is full of great yellow slopes, Sith Infiltrator has grey and
dark grey slopes and plates, droid fighter is full of brown, Naboo Swamp has
brown and green, and some really nice clear pieces.  The Gungan sub is full of
grey and dark grey too.  All in all I'd say the Star Wars sets have breathed
new life into a dying LEGO line, and I will be spending most of my money on
these sets over the next few years.  (Unless they improve other themes
accordingly).

On another topic, while finding these sets today I ran across 6 silver brick
buckets at TRU for 7.97 on clearance.  I bought them all of course, but I was
surprised since I hadn't seen them there before.  They also had a bunch (8-10)
silver Freestyle tubs for 16.97.  This is the TRU in Whitehall, PA.

Rob

|  Rob Farver - rfarver@rcn.com             |
http://www.farver.com/lego/              |
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/rfarver  |