 Star Wars / 17129
Re: How big does my shelf need to be...?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 00:19:14 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jason Reljac wrote:
My question is, how large of a shelf do I really need to hold the Destroyer?

Instead of a shelf, maybe try making a "wall rack" for it.  You would probably
need 2 to 4 arms for the rack.  Put some kind of brackets on the wall, with
"arms" sticking out from them that are shaped just right for the SD.  Put some
kind of foam or rubber padding on the arms to avoid damage if you wish, and
then just set the SD on it.  That way you can see the SD from above and below,
without having a lot of visual space taken up by a flat shelf.  You could use
a variety of materials depending on the look you want and how strong you make
the rack arms.  Metal, wood, thick transparent acrylic/lexan/plexiglass, etc.
You could even customize the SD design so that it is stronger internally (to
prevent bent beams and sagging), and so that your rack attaches directly to the
model, perhaps internally.  An arrangement where the arms go directly into the
wall-side of the model would be the sharpest, because then the view of the
model would not be obstructed by the rack.

Whatever you decide, please post pics!  :]

KDJ
LUGNETer #203