 Star Wars / 16065
Re: Lando minifig picutre HERE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:32:24 GMT

Richard & All,

   Ew, no. I couldn’t disagree more.

Interesting.

   I have no problem with real basketball players being depicted with more naturalistic skin tones.

Right, I think that was an appropriate move for that. I am no fan of the NBA, I have not bought any as of yet (Discounts are not enough for me)

   I have no probem with Lando being brown.

Nor do I, although I was suprised they actually did this. I remember that big SW show in Indy I think had a yellow Mace, I thought they just might never bring any of those characters out simply because of the race issues.

   To be honest, I wouldn’t have minded if he looked rather like this non-standard faced basketball player (there’s a hint of racial detail but he’s still yellow):

Yes, I remember those sets had these in them now. That whole thing is kind of weird when you think about it:

Real people (NBA) = Black, white, etc.

Real black actors in fantasy roles (Lando) = black

Real white actors in fantasy roles (Luke Mark Hamill) = yellow

Generic minifigs = yellow

Belleville = natural skin colors

(Red Indians) http://guide.lugnet.com/set/2151 = natural skin colors

Minifig Indians (Wild West) = Yellow Duplo - some natural colors (Asian family, etc.), some yellow

So it is not really a coherent thing I guess, so maybe this does fit in a little better.

   Then again, I don’t think I could stand minis if they all had faces like on the basketball players. Those faces are...not good...it’s the nose ya know. Minis should not have noses.

Yes, I don’t like most of the newer faces on minifigs these days anyway.

   I have lot’s of basic smileys and I like it that way.

I am one of the smiley’s biggest fans. I liked it when I didn’t have to think bout race of figs. Now it is a major factor that I think needs to be addressed. This current line of answers from both LD and TLC are.... just awful, and don’t address what I feel are legitimate issues.

   I don’t mind variations on the smiley theme, but I do think it would be a huge misteak to go with more naturalistic coloring and facial details for the minis!

Heh. I am in agreement with the faces, but with how people react to race these days, I would rather retire the yellow fig, but in natural colors, and not have to hear about race anymore. I for one am tired of hearing about it in some aspects every single day about something. (Benton Harbor, U of M, KKK in Osceola (What a bunch of pinheads), etc.)

   FWIW, I could go with fewer smirking faces too -- it seems like every new face they come up with is some smirking little fool. Most of the new “World > City” faces are smirkers, as is the face of the new female in the “Orient Expedition” set.

Yes, a little more variety of expressions would help, and being a little more general.

   I am not a huge fan of the solutions found for wolfmen or dwarves either.

Ah, indeed. I have piles of both now, I am not sure what to use those for.

   Long live the yellow mini!!!

Ideally, I would agree, I wish they would have stuck with yellow, but in terms of race, since Lando has come out in brown, who is a fantasy character, I think they need to retire the yellow fig. We shall see how they handle it in upcoming sets.

An extra 1x2 Yellow brick worth!

Scott E. Sanburn