 Star Wars / 14519
Re: Snapshot: Revised o-wing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 15:40:20 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jon Palmer writes:
I'm trying to find a balance between having the engines tilt and getting
some greebles in there to fill the open areas up a bit more.  I want them to
have some good movement but I don't want too much of the lance they are
supported on exposed.

I always seem to encounter this problem as well, particularily when the
orientation of the bricks shifts from vertical to horizontal.  Always seems
to be a matter of an 1/8th of an inch, yet expanding the cavity renders the
area skimpy looking.  Still wrestling with it.  From the precie however, it
looks as if you've solved it nicely.

Good input but I think I'm gonna try and make it as close to the afore
mentioned droids as I can.  I like the idea of the entire craft as one
self-aware droid.  I keep thinking of a big red eye or something, with some
small eyes and sensors clustered around it. (all of this where the cockpit
is now)

Hmm yes.  It definately would lend to the swarming hive concept.  The tecnho
spider head concept is particularily creepy :)

This brings up another thing.  I've always felt like the big droids from
these 2 prequals were actually rather "cute".  I've thought this ever since
I saw the way the droid starfighters in Phantom Menace bolted away at the
beginning when that turret shot the Radient 7.

I just think they are extremely well designed by Chiang. (I don't hate Doug
Chiang like some others, BTW) To me they seem like large beasts of burden
who wouldn't be so violent if only they were programmed differently.
Anyway, random thought.

About 6 months after I saw TPM for the first time, I went again to see it
with me Mum (Exactly 22 years to the day after the first time she took me to
see ANH!), it dawned on me during the attack on the Federation blockade that
the droid fighter were actually the mantis-droids in the opening sequence.
Although not a huge fan of the flick, I thought from a design point of view,
that was the most intriguing part of the film.

Cheers,
-G