 Star Wars / 14149
Re: LEGO Star Wars 2003
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 00:46:25 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Gareth Bowler writes:
Sure, Gareth, but within a reasonable price-point this is pretty good.  Just

Can you explain to me why this:

http://www.fbtb.net/hereis2003/4476.jpg

Costs almost twice as much as this:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1383

Note that the 2nd set contains 28% more pieces

I'll bet one or more of:

- New mold costs. New mold shows up in only 1 set? Only one set shares the
overhead.

- Difficult-to-manufacture costs. Minifigs come pre-assembled and are 9+
actual pieces, some of the parts are larger, etc.

- Lucas royalties. Bet Spielberg gets just about zip for a non-licenced
mummy set. Bet Lucas gets *something*.

- Unique fig appeal. It's the only available set with Boba Fett, and also
only one with the new Guard. People will pay more.

- Star Wars appeal. A wider audience are more likely to buy the Star Wars
set than a little no-name mummy set.

Price point shmice point. Storytellers are total rip-offs.

Buildings in general. 90% of the modern buildings all have that same icky,
Juniorized feel to them. Only recent decent buildings that I've seen have
been the Guarded Inn (old design) and the Blacksmith Shop (fan design). The
modern ones all have those big 1xNx5 bricks, mainly have only 1 or two
walls, in general are flimsier (sp?), and don't offer nearly the building
potential as less Juniorized sets. Welcome to Juniorization. This isn't
anything new. Juniorization has always been a rip-off. It's just moderately
new to the Star Wars theme. But that's what bulk orders and BrickLink are for :)

DaveE