 Star Wars / 14080
Re: USC Star Destroyer scale fighters, MF, and Shuttle!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 13:21:28 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Mike Petrucelli writes:

Maybe this A-wing would be closer to scale:

http://www.bricklink.com/P/1/752.gif

Uh... isn't that piece larger than the 'X-Wing' piece I used?  As to why I
made them same size... well that is why I put the 'X-Wing' on a 45 degree
angle to make it longer. None of the other parts really fit and they are
close enough when using this scale.  It was more for fun than accuraccy
anyway. :-)

This is serious business.(1)

Have a look at this:
http://news.lugnet.com/market/shipping/?n=542

"Hose Flexible End  1 x  1 x  2/3 without Tabs" has a weight of 0.103g
"Plate 1 x 1" has a weight of 0.176g

The dimensions of a 1x1 plate are appx 8mm x 8mm x 5mm
If you turn it diagonally, the length and width are 11.3mm
The dimensions of a hose end are appx 6.3mm in diameter, and 6.4mm long
(these measurements come from http://www.lugnet.com/~330/FAQ/Build/dimensions)

So, although a hose end on it's side will slightly taller than a 1x1 plate,
it will still be shorter and narrower.  And it's shape is more A-wing-like.

QED.

Jeff J

(1) No, it isn't! ;)