 Star Wars / 13217
Re: quality of jango fetts slave one vs.. bubba fetts slave 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 19:59:20 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Ahui Herrera writes:

1) Jango Fetts Slave 1 (JFS1)is TOO BIG vs other ships in current Lego Star
Wars (LSW) line.  Thus the scale is not right.

I think it's the other way around. JFS1 in the film is a large ship (which
Jango may have used for the transport of illegal goods, in addition to
captured individuals). If we compared this to, say, the Republic Gunship
(used for the transport of Clonetrooper units), the RG is actually smaller
in scale than it should be (if it was directly proportionate to the
minifigs, we would be looking at a US$120+ set)

I know that we cannot have it both ways detail and playablity in teh same
set. But I would prefer to have a playable set over a detail one anytime.
If you make the set too detail you don't leave any room for the imagaination
to 'complete' the set so it looks like the movie one.  Is this not
contradory to what lego's motto is?  Imaganation...

I think it's a matter of personal opinion. I happen to like the larger ships
the way they are now. As a SW collector, I would rather have the ships and
vehicles interpreted in as realistic a manner as possible; playability is
secondary. Of course, this ideology greatly contrasts what LEGO builders
stand for (I've been building LEGO long before I became involved in the SW
universe), but if I was given one feature over another (realism vs.
playability), for SW sets, I have to go with realism.

Some may argue that this is the purpose of the UCS line. I would love to see
a UCS AT-AT or Republic Gunship, but that's never going to happen because
both would be prohibitively expensive. If LEGO incorporated more playability
into these sets at the risk of detail (or vice versa), there's the potential
risk of isolating one of your target groups. I think the diehard SW
collectors are more forgiving with the LEGO sets than the true builders.
With the exception of Count Dooku's vehicle, I am really pleased with the
way the E2 sets have turned out, and I look forward to an AT-TE in the near
future (and for the love of pete, no more Dark Side Developer's Kits!)