 Star Wars / 13216
Re: quality of jango fetts slave one vs.. bubba fetts slave 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 19:34:02 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Ahui Herrera writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Thomas Burger writes:
jango fetts slave 1 is so nice, with all that weaponry and detail, why
couldnt lego do that with 7144??

the world will never know

bubba fett in the new set is a brat!

Agreed.  "Shoot him, dad!"  Yeah, great role model.

I might be in the minority here but I must disagree.  Here are my points:
(Note these are MY OPNIONS)

1) Jango Fetts Slave 1 (JFS1)is TOO BIG vs other ships in current Lego Star
Wars (LSW) line.  Thus the scale is not right.

The LEGO SW sets run the gamut in terms of scale.  I think the 7140 X-Wing
is scaled properly, while the Millenium Falcon (7190) or the Sith
Infiltrator (7150) are not.  My impression is that JFS1 is correct in terms
of scale (compared with the movies).  It's too big when compared with 7190,
but that's because 7190 is too small.

2) JFS1 is *missing* that back ramp section unlike 7144.

An annoying defect, to be sure, and one I'm going to rectify as soon as I
get my bricks unpacked (moving takes 1 day, packing and unpacking take months!)

3) JFS1 is not very playable as it falls apart to easily.  It's structre
design is too weak for any 'hand flying' aronud the room.

I didn't find this to be true, but, then again, I'm not a kid.  I could see
where some parts might get knocked about, but it felt sturdy to me.

4) Due to it's side (JSF1) is hard for a kid to hold with one hand and use
the other to hold another ship and have a space combat fight.  Again
playablity factor is down.  This also factors into #3 where the model falls
apart to easily.

It is big for a child, so that is a valid concern.  Then again, so is the
Republic Gunship or the Millenium Falcon.  One of the problems with LEGO
getting a Star Wars license is that the sets have to be like the movies.
LEGO can't just do their own thing, like with classic space.

5) JSF1's front part is see-thru and makes the ship so 'unrealistic' and
'incomplete'.  I'm taking about the part underneath the location where Fett
and Jango are at the control. Where the wings meet the body of the ship.

Agreed.

6) Why detail is great and I must say that JFS1 is much better in it I would
prefer to have more playablity.  Detail is something that the user can add
onto his model if he wants to or make a UCS Salve 1.  LEGO SYSTEM sets are
suppose to be able playablity!  UCS are about detail!

One wonders who LEGO is really marketing to with Star Wars sets.  The
hardcore collectors are going to want accuracy.  The LEGO fans want building
fodder.  Kids want to swoosh the thing around (ok, so there's some overlap
in the categories ;-)

I know that we cannot have it both ways detail and playablity in teh same
set. But I would prefer to have a playable set over a detail one anytime.
If you make the set too detail you don't leave any room for the imagaination
to 'complete' the set so it looks like the movie one.  Is this not
contradory to what lego's motto is?  Imaganation...

-AHui