 Star Wars / 13215
Re: quality of jango fetts slave one vs.. bubba fetts slave 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 19:28:46 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Conrad Frank writes:
jango fetts slave 1 is so nice, with all that weaponry and detail, why
couldnt lego do that with 7144??

I'd have to say that LEGO built 7144 based on what was actually shown
in the Empire Stikes Back movie, and nothing more.

I don't expect so-- there's enough in ESB to figure out more than what they
actually put into Boba's, not to mention the SLEWs of other information
available on the ship that aren't directly in the movie.

My guess is this was very much a product-development/marketing decision: "We
need another set in the $20 USD price range, 150-200 pieces. Go make one."
And on top of that, we were told that they're only 'allowed' to come out
with X new pieces every year. Notice how Jango's has a bunch of new pieces--
well, if they did that for 7144, they'd have to sacrifice other new pieces
that came out in 2000.

Also, since (IIRC) it's the SAME exact ship (as in Boba Fett later retrieves
his father's ship and repaints it? I think there was a thread on Lugnet
stating that that was the case), people would be less likely to buy the same
design than to buy a new model. Also, if the 1st one isn't accurate and the
2nd one IS, then people will eat up the 1st model, then similarly go nuts
for an even better model later; whereas if the better one was out first,
they'd be less inclined to go buy the worse model.

Anyway, I'm betting it's all marketing & business strategy. Same reason they
didn't release a small set with stormtroopers or Darth Vader until they had
been released in larger sets (make people buy the big sets if you can!)

I have not seen Attack of the Clones yet, perhaps someone who has can
comment on this. Is more detail of Slave 1 shown in the new movie? Do
they show its weapons, etc?

Lots more detail than in ESB-- not that that's saying much :) But yes, there
are more shots of it, including some shots of it using various weapons...

DaveE