 Star Wars / 13125
Re: Rebel Blockade Runner . . . Holy Crap ! !
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2002 18:57:53 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Larry Pieniazek writes:
My thinking here is that there is a polynomial or even exponential time
function at work with large sets. The more parts a set has, the greater the
fraction of total build time is spent looking for a particular part. The way
to decrease that fraction is to sort the parts first.

Yeah, that's often what I do for large sets. I won't quite *sort* the pieces
so much as empty out the bags into seperate piles. And since all the X
pieces in Y color come in a single bag (usually), it saves actually having
to *really* sort the pieces, and still gets them mildly organized. For the
RBR I had an entire box dedicated to the baggies that contained the engine
parts...

Why dump the parts out of the bags?  Usually, the parts are organized
*mostly* by size -- all the smallest parts in one bag, all the biggest parts
in another bag, and then everything in between going whereever it goes.
Once you learn which bag has each general size of part, you can find new
types of parts pretty quickly.  And leaving the parts in the bags makes it
easy to move the 'piles' of parts around.  And if you have to put your toys
away before you're finished building, it's easy to pick up, without losing
all the organization. :)

OTOH, sometimes it's ... fun ... to sort all the parts, in neat little rows
and columns, with all the plates over here, and the slopes over there, and
the wheels off in the corner, etc, etc.

Steve