 Star Wars / 12998
Re: Ep.II Sets: I'm not that impressed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 15:29:37 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, John Grubber writes:
I was at a walmart today and i saw the sets, and left empty handed. There is
not much to be excited about, imho.  I like the new slave I, but not at that
price ($70).

Huh-- the WalMart near me (North Reading, MA) had it for $48.88-- unless
we're talking CAD or AUD instead of USD? As for the ship itself, it was ok.
Not all that great partwise, but it had some good stuff. At least it looks
better scale-wise than Boba Fett's Slave I!

I like the gunship (kind of) but not really, and not for that price ($100).

Wow, I really liked this set ($89.97 USD), except for the not-so-super
battle droids. They seem ridiculously unuseful partwise, and they look kinda
dumb. It had a great selection of parts, and was pretty non-juniorized. I'll
be buying another one certainly.

The bounty hunter set is nice, but would have been better
served as two smaller sets- i don't like the car, but Zam's speeder is pretty
neat (Makes me excited to see what TLC does with future space lego!).  At
$40, though, i still won't be buying it.

Really? I loved the design of the car, but the bounty hunder's car looked
stupid to me-- not that that's any fault of TLC's. (Oh yeah, got for $29.97
USD.) But this set was beautifully non-juniorized, and had some gems in it
like the chrome cups, cool printed black engine parts, and 5 2x2 light grey
tiles (I love grey tiles). Only thing I don't like about this set is the
wierd colors. They're very 70's. Maybe it's that whole retro thing... But
again, no real fault of TLC.

Then, we have the small sets, which are barely worth mentioning, since they
are overpriced, underpieced and generally lack creativity.

I dunno-- there's the previously unseen tan-color-Stubbies for Yoda, some
great torso's, lots of tan greeblies & parts in the moisture vaporator (or
whatever that is), and I gotta love those blank light blue shields.

There is nothing between the sets, unless i am missinga huge part of the line.
Maybe that will come out later in the year or something, but there is nothing
akin to the snowspeeder or the naboo fighter- a solid set for a decent price.

Yeah, they are missing something in the $20 USD price range, but otherwise,
I think they've covered the bases pretty well.

DaveE