 Star Wars / 12169
Re: 2002 Star Wars flyer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 02:53:03 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Erik Olson writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  small to be.  Woohoo, white med-slope apexes!  And that tail--is that

It looks like a gable connector to me. I don't know what to make of that
POOP behind it. But what's the difference? It's either one rare part or the
other, obtainable in unit quantity, useless because the related elements
are... unobtainable.

   Yeah, I meant "gable connector."  I meant apexes, as a class.
   But even a gable connector has uses...mecha builders, listening?

I'm disgusted with the pieces seen here. Do you see even ONE brick? Maybe
1x6 behind the cockpit? There are no regular slopes either, just those awful
flags/flaps and some multi-sloped junk. The undercarriage may have a brick
or two, but is probably a bunch of click hinges and possibly a good big plate.

   This doesn't bother me one bit.  In fact, when I buy actual sets,
   I prefer fewer bricks and more plates/wings/etc--though when you
   get into pieces that are *far* too specialized, yes, I draw a line.

The main body of the ship is a pair of new larger multi-slope pieces. At
least it's a matched pair. The handful of tiles present are a slight
positive, but what opportunity was lost to use more tiles to make smoother
wings? A mere one episode ago, there was a generally good Naboo Fighter made
of valuable yellow parts. This set is no Naboo Fighter.

   I actually rather like it, in part because I'm a fan of the new
   slope category.

The overall shape is pleasing, no credit to Lego, but overall this set isn't
half a Snowspeeder. It will probably be priced similarly. Unfortunately the
part utility looks to be about that of a Droid Fighter - and if it costs
only $6 I'll buy you one first (rather than eat my hat.)

   From the looks of it, I'd bet $14.99, but it will probably be $20
   the way pricing's been going.  But I disagree completely on the part
   utility--I'd bet there's a lot more going on under the hood than with
   7111.

No, this set is marketed for pure swooshability and "play value". There will
be some welcome uses among adult builders for the exotic color bits, and a
few of those dark red wings, but this is not up to the demanding standards
of the original Star Wars lines.

   Well, we may agree there.  It's not nearly as useful as 7130 was.
   However, I think it will have its uses, especially in quantity (or
   on sale, naturally).

Trying really, really hard to be gracious: if there were some way that these
multi-slopes could combine into larger constructions, if they somehow formed
a system of multi-slopes, they would be justified. It's unlikely though,
given the poor record of Droid Fighter wings and most airplane fuselage slopes.

   They do.  See the new cockpits.  Those multi-slopes are halves,
   two separate pieces, not one fused piece.  At least, they're not
   on the Racers and Alpha Team sets.  I already have some of the
   things, and there's a 1x6 and a 2x6 multi-slope with nice curvature
   and *one flat side*.

The cockpit is the same bad idea: one use, no system to it at all. It's been
years since Lego gave us the pieces to construct a full bubble (Nebula
Outpost), this one is another Star Wars SPUD.

   Again, I'm much more optimistic.  From the general looks of it,
   that's going to be a very useful canopy, because it's not a half-
   canopy like the Naboo Fighter/B-Wing canopy, but a full flush-canopy.
   I'm already devising uses for the thing.

   So, tell you what:  You figure out what pieces you want, I'll
   figure out what pieces I want, and we'll split 'em.  ;)  But I'm
   withholding criticism and going with my feeling that the Jedi
   Starfighter is "promising".

   LFB