 Star Wars / 11066
Re: Luke Skywalker- Sith?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:11:13 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Aaron West writes:
In lugnet.starwars, David Eaton writes:
Well Lucas never did play by those rules of color.  Look at the
Stormtroopers, they carry out most of the Emperor's deeds in the Empire and
are the most visible form of corruption and evil, yet they wear white.

I seem to recall that his reasoning there was that the generic 'bad guys'
were colorless, hence white/black/grey, with the obvious exceptions of the
dark green uniforms of imperial officers. But 'characters' had more color no
matter what their alignment... But there're always holes. But in general, it
seems to be true...

As to the shift to darker wardrobes, you are not exactly correct.  Leia is
wearing white in most of Empire Strikes Back

Oh, certainly, there are almost always exceptions-- my thought with Leia was
that she too was decked out in white in the 1st movie (and in a rather flowy
outfit, making her all the more suggestive of 'angel' or something). I can't
recall well enough what she's wearing througout ESB and ROTJ, but I'm sure
it's not solid white or black. Fact is, I'm not really all that interested
in Leia, since Luke's the one in question... after all, I seem to recall
hearing that Leia wasn't even going to be Luke's sister until ESB when Lucas
wanted to provide himself with an 'out' should anything happen to Mark
Hammil. But that's another story :)

In the costume photo archives we find Luke in A New Hope wearing
black and brown (his Rebel duds) and a hideous yellow jacket.  In costume
pose shots from Empire, Luke's "brown" bespin fatigues are a shade of tan so
bright, we might think it is white, he again gets *real* dirty playing
"jedi" with Yoda.  In fact, I think that he gave Vader some trouble in their
Bespin duel because of his smell, bleach!!  :o)

Yep. But again, really I'm referencing the general color change-- Luke's
primary outfit in ANH was white, in ESB was brown/tan, and in ROTJ was
black. Actually, that's also interesting because good Jedi typically wore
brown, and as of ep5, he hadn't started turning yet. Hence, perhaps as if to
say that were it not for the Emperor's intervention, he would have remained
good... But anyway, just speculation, since after all, Luke's in black for
ALL of ep6, and only really turns at the end... (but perhaps only done
because a costume change wouldn't have made sense in other parts of the
movie? Nah... He could have easily changed before the assault on Endor if
nothing else...)

I would love to re-write Star Wars the *right* way and
throw out some of the Lucas/Disney material :o) .  Sounds crazy, no?  Just
ask me sometime how I would have executed Episode One, and see if you think
I'm right.

Yep (of course I'm sure everyone knows that ep1 could be better pulled
off)-- mostly I think the problem was simply lack of backstory. There's
PLENTY of ways it could have been done, but because ep1 was written AS a
backstory, it's much more superfical than the 4-6 trilogy. There's LOTS of
holes to fill in that simply didn't have even the slightest hint of being
filled in in ep1 as it was done.

Bottom line is that Lucas does not always do things for the reasons you'd >think.

Most certainly-- although I dunno if I'm yet convinced that Lucas didn't
intend Luke to fall to the dark side, and be redeemed at the end of ep9 or
so... and of course it'd be so much nicer to see the original versions of
the scripts and an honest and complete history into the story's creation by
Lucas. But then again, I dunno how seriously I could take reading a script
with a hero named "Johnny Starkiller".... :)

DaveE