 Star Wars / 11063
Re: Luke Skywalker- Sith?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 05:03:05 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Aaron West writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Charles Spindell writes:
I was just wondering why Luke Skywalker showed up to Jabba's palace dressed
like a Sith lord in the opening scene in ROTJ.  I never really thought about
it much until I got my collector's mini-fig pack.  Any ideas?

I happen to have an old Bantha Tracks issue (waaay old Star Wars fanclub
newsletter) that goes into this.  George wanted to show through Luke's
choice of wardrobe his acceptance of his relationship to Vader (dad).  It
was supposed to be very "Vader-ish".  It may also have something to do with
the fact that Luke is the Last remaining Jedi, and is choosing a somber
color out of respect for those slain by Vader.  In any case, it is directly
because of Vader's influence on the Jedi that Luke wears black.

Odd... I always assumed it was his ongoing fall to the darkside, which is
what I always assumed the 'final' trilogy would be about. Mostly because
Lucas makes various references to colors' signifigance, and Luke goes
through 3 very distinct changes in the trilogy. He (and Leia, oddly) both
started out in ep4 in white costumes, moved to brown in ep5, and then black
in ep6. And we all remember Yoda's fateful words "once you start down the
dark path, *forever* will it *dominate* your destiny". And after we see him
'start' down the path in ep6, I figured he really DID turn evil, and thus
the shift from white to black would be easily explained.

Of course, maybe Lucas was just saying that as to avoid 'giving away' the
plot for the 'next' 3 movies, with the escape route of having an explanation
in case he never did finish the final trilogy... dunno...

DaveE

Well Lucas never did play by those rules of color.  Look at the
Stormtroopers, they carry out most of the Emperor's deeds in the Empire and
are the most visible form of corruption and evil, yet they wear white.  As
to the shift to darker wardrobes, you are not exactly correct.  Leia is
wearing white in most of Empire Strikes Back, she just gets dirty (remember
that Star Wars appeal is in the realism, or main characters don't have time
to shower and clean their outfits) and her only color change is the gown
offered by Lando (which is just pretty) that is closer to rose color than
anything.  In the costume photo archives we find Luke in A New Hope wearing
black and brown (his Rebel duds) and a hideous yellow jacket.  In costume
pose shots from Empire, Luke's "brown" bespin fatigues are a shade of tan so
bright, we might think it is white, he again gets *real* dirty playing
"jedi" with Yoda.  In fact, I think that he gave Vader some trouble in their
Bespin duel because of his smell, bleach!!  :o)
Remember that Lucas had every intention of creating a fantasy universe and
capitalizing on the merchandising of product from day one, costume changes
were done within story lines, but mostly to sucker us (me too) into buying
more toys and related stuff.
As to Luke continually falling toward the Dark Side, from a literary point
of view, I completely agree with you.  Lucas is probably the closest thing
to Walt Disney we've seen in a couple of decades and his mind works toward
fantasy fairy tales.  The die hard Star Wars fans like me feel that if Star
Wars were more sci-fi and less fantasy it would most likely develop down
those lines.  That is also the case for some of the Star Wars novels.  Read
Dark Empire some time, it goes into this exactly.  Luke feels the pull of
the Dark Side and knows that the only way to defeat it is to discover it's
secrets from within.  I would love to re-write Star Wars the *right* way and
throw out some of the Lucas/Disney material :o) .  Sounds crazy, no?  Just
ask me sometime how I would have executed Episode One, and see if you think
I'm right.  But, all that is neither here nor there.  Lucas wrote it the way
he envisioned it, I'm obsessed with it, and that was *exactly* why he did it
the way he did.

Bottom line is that Lucas does not always do things for the reasons you'd think.
Best wishes,
Aaron, Jedi Knight and friend of Captain Solo.