 Star Wars / 10981
Re: SW Trilogy (SE) VHS Nov. '00 Release - Widescreen?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 05:15:41 GMT

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 23:27:32 GMT, "Bryan Hodges"
<bhodges@SPAMBLOCKcos.wantweb.net> wrote:

In lugnet.starwars, Brad Hamilton writes:
Does anyone know when the DVD is coming out?

Tapes look crappy.  I have the laser disk version, but its such a hassle to
hook up my old laser disk player and, although it is nearly as clear as a
DVD, the sound is not 5.1.

The last official word was that none of the movies will be released on DVD
until after Episode III is released on video, so roughly 2006-2007.
However, there are lots of rumors floating around about Episode I being
released on DVD in December 2001... if this is true then I imagine the
others will be hitting DVD shortly thereafter.  Lucas apparently has big
plans for the DVD versions of the movies, which may be why he'd put off the
release of them until after Ep. III is completed.  That way he can focus his
attention on the two new films now, then go back and fix all of them up for
the DVD release.

Well haven't heard anything recently but I will not buy ep. 1 until
its on a  disc the size of a audio CD :^)   Even if ep. 1 comes out
sooner, I don't EXPECT the 'Classic Trilogy' to be out for a while.

So don't throw out your VCRs yet... :)  At least wait for an official
announcement.

Just throw out your tapes instead! :^)

I personally don't own a DVD player and I don't plan on getting one until SW
comes to DVD, VHS dies, DVD burners become cheap, I find a really good one
that's cheap and plays VCDs and MP3s, or the PS2 comes down to $150.  I
don't have a very good home entertainment system so I can't enjoy the visual
and audial benefits of DVD and I don't care about the special features of
DVDs (at least, not enough to pay 2x as much as VHS)  So, until SW comes to
DVD, VIVA VHS!

-Bryan

Even on a old TV DVD's look better than VHS :^)    I was using mine on
a 13" JVC that was about 14 years old and until the tube went snap
when I turned it on there was a definite difference in picture
quality.  (after the snap I liked letterboxed movies even better, the
parts where the color guns were no longer working right fell into the
black bars :^)

Most people don't need DVD yet, but it's a nice perk if you can afford
it, I got mine cheap or I'd have waited longer....

Mike
--
All other themes are just spare parts for Castle! :^)