 Space / 8117
Re: Cyclone ride armor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 21:05:27 GMT

In lugnet.space, Todd Trotter writes:
In lugnet.space, Joel Jacobsen writes:
I just wanted to give it a go with a whole minifig.

Joel, Those look great. Those of us that have tried to build Cyclone ride armor
around a whole minifig know how hard it is to do (that's why I gave up on it and
took a different route). I think you've succeeded. I love how you used the
binocs as missile launchers. I also like the detailing on the rear such as the
exhaust pipes and the wheel supports. When I was trying my "whole" minifig
design I wanted to use those clawed arms the same way, but I couldn't get any of
my wheels to attach. What set did you get those wheels from?

Thanks, Tony. Coming from a fellow Cyclone builder, being told I succeeded
means a lot. I can't tell you how many hours I spent studying your pics and
the drawings and scratching my head. (if I HAD hair, I'd have pulled it
out..<G>). If you hadn't posted your pics I'd have been hard up I think.

The binoculars came as a sudden inspiration, as I'd previously used them for
'grenades' hanging under a minifig launcher I made.. I happened to glance
over and it went from there..:) Others have used them before as grenades/etc.

I used the gray 'tubes' from an 8428 Turbo Command (used to shape out the
car) for the axles that attach the wheels to the 'arms'. I cut the tubing to
fit into the back of a regular 'mag' wheel and be long enough to snap into
the arm. I then took a small hobby file and roughed up the lip of the tube
for the tire end so it  mushroomed out a little. This keeps the wheels from
sliding off the tubing.

More tubing was run through the 'closed' ends of the arms and through the
middle of a 1x1 technic brick with hole to keep the arms from falling off.
Another piece was used to attach the 1x1 tiles with clips for the exhaust.

The tires themselves are from the Shell Promo sets that were available last
fall- off the race cars and the pitstop sets. I'm sorry I don't recall the
set numbers ATM. The narrow aircraft style tires seemed too small to me.

I just wish I know where he got the LEGO/Robotech logo, or how he made it,

I created the logo from scratch using Adobe Illustrator.

Later,
Todd

You are my hero. :) That is an awesome logo.

Joel J

* I apologize for the poor image quality. I was limited to my 320x240 web
cam. Ahwell..the idea is there. :)