 Space / 7969
Re: Et in Arcadia Lego Update -- Mobile Research Unit (MRU)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 19:23:43 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Hartzog writes:
It bumps; it grinds, but hey, its expensive and stylish!
http://63.230.24.25/lego

I know Paul won't be offended, and I'm sick of "oh, that's wonderful" posts, so
I'm gonna speak my mind for once.  Afterall, how can you improve if you never
get any criticism?

First off, I do like the sliding door (does it stay put?  If so, would you
please share some details on the design?), and the retractable ladder is great.
The interior is also very well cluttered, as usual.  The details are
definitely your forte.
  However, if your MRU is supposed to be a rugged exploration vehicle, the
exterior design just doesn't fit the bill.  With such a short and narrow
wheelbase, it looks like the vehicle would tip over after encountering the
first obstacle (Hey! just like a real SUV!).  It also looks like the wheels
were just tacked on as an afterthought.  Better integration of the wheels, and
suspension possibly, with the body would greatly improve the appearance.  My
last comment is more a matter of personal preference.  I think the
width of the MRU varies too much for its length.  It ends up looking like a
turtle that has had its legs lopped off. Moving the wheels to the corners would
give the turtle its legs back, but it would still look a bit slow and "cutesy".
  Feel free to tear apart my comments, and please consider this encouragement
for more constructive criticism.  If you don't like one of my models, I won't
be offended if you tell me, especially if you can give my ideas for improvement.
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu
http://home.cwru.edu/~bxl34/