 Space / 6981
Re: Needed things for possible storyline
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 18:49:06 GMT

In lugnet.space, James Howse writes:
In lugnet.space, Rick Hallman writes:
I need the links/emails of the following things.
3. someone good with fictional maps.

What exactly are you after here? I may be able to help. (I am a cartophile,
I love maps.) I can also wield a graphics package.

James (who is not sure cartophile is even a word, it sounds right though...)

   As a historian of cartography, yes, it's a word.  I doubt you'll
   find it in the OED, but we do use it from time to time.

   But in response to Rick's query, we had a discussion of this
   sometime last year or so.  The really vital information re:
   programmes that can plot on XYZ coordinate graphs and do
   starchart simulation was contributed IIRC by John Ladasky,
   who easily has the credentials for such things.  You might
   want to search through .space for the conversation.

   It might be interesting, though, to make a star system with one
   really 'off' feature--maybe one habitable world way the heck off
   the star's ecliptic, else one of those monstrous planets at the
   orbit of Mercury.  Imagine the weird science one could have!
   Re: star systems themselves, I've been thinking about globular
   clusters, and the metal-poor stars within--it's possible that
   at least one Pop I star might exist within such a group, with
   habitable but lonely worlds...

   Idle speculation, all of it.  But isn't that what imagination
   is all about?  :)

   best

   Lindsay (whose idle speculation couldn't even have predicted
            what his thesis research came up with yesterday...)