 Space / 69
Re: Monorails
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 17:05:21 GMT

Greg Majewski wrote in message ...
Hi,
I am currently planning on making a large space station facility, and I • want
it to have mass transport, so I thought of using a monorail. The only • problem
is that I don't have any real monorails, so I made one out of regular 1xN
bricks. It works great on straightaways and slopes, but I can't figure out • how
to do curves. Any ideas? Has anyone else done something like this?

Is it possible to concatenate single railway track pieces without using the
dk-grey sleeper "clip" pieces, i.e. just with normal studs? If it is, then
perhaps you could use a single strip of railway track for the rail, and the
cars could use alternating inward-pointing train wheels to straddle the
track on each side. It might be challenging to get the cars' centre of
gravity low enough to not tip over by building them downward a lot on each
side (and keep side clearance on curves), but then such solutions would
probably also hide the train wheels nicely, as well as give the cars that
nice "straddling-the-rail" look.
Oh, and this method doesn't even address the problem of how to motorise it.
:-)

Paul